Follow these tips to ensure a worry-free … [Read More...]
Cost of a DUI in California
How does California define DUI?
- (a) “It is unlawful for any person who is under the influence of any alcoholic beverage or drug, or under the combined influence of any alcoholic beverage and drug, to drive a vehicle.”
- (b) “It is unlawful for any person who has 0.08 percent or more.” They have three hours to test you from the time you last drove. Furthermore, the threshold is lower for commercial vehicles.
- (d) It is unlawful for any person who has 0.04 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood to drive a commercial motor vehicle.
California DMW DUI Page
What are the fines and penalties for a DUI in California?
The fines and penalties for DUI in California vary depending on the severity of the offense and if you have mulitple offenses. For example, was there property damage? Did you have insurance? Was any person(s) injured or killed?
- Fines: The State of California will impose a monetary fine and that fine will vary but it will be between $300 and $5,000.
- Jail and/or Community Service: Jail and/or community service will vary between 2 days (48 hours total time) and 2 years. The law requires 48 hours jail time on a first offense DUI but that time can be converted to community service.
- Treatment programs: Again, length of court-ordered treatment programs vary between 3 and 30 months (yes, you have to pay for it).
- CDL Suspension: Yes, your license will be suspended for a period of time of between 4 months and 5 years. One year is the most likely.
Total cost for a DUI in California
- Court-Ordered Fines/penalties: $1000-$5,000
- Tow/Impound: $200 to $500 (depending on how fast you can get it out. It could be more is you are involved in an accident and the vehicle is placed on police hold. And where do you have a totaled car towed to? Your apartment parking lot?
- Court-Ordered Treatment Program: $500-$1,000.
- Court Costs: $800
- Insurance Increase: $500-$1,500
- Attorney Fees: $2,500
Total Approximate Cost DUI California